Step 1: Enter the Vehicle Information
Enter the information about the vehicle that you will register
- Type of Vehicle
- If a pick-up truck was modified, you must select a passenger registration class. A modified pick-up truck has a truck bed that is enclosed (completely and permanently) by a camper top, and has seats or camping equipment mounted in the truck bed. The vehicle cannot display any business advertisements. A vehicle that is leased or rented must comply with additional requirements.
- Unladen Weight (also called 'curb weight')
- This is the weight of the vehicle itself, with no load. To find the unladen weight, check the driver's side doorframe for a plate named "Title and Loading Information", the owner's manual, or automobile websites.
- For "Pick-up truck registered as a passenger vehicle," the unladen weight must be no more than 6,001 lbs.
- The unladen weight of a vehicle other than a motorcycles must be 1,400 lbs. or more.
- Maximum Gross Weight (MGW)
- Enter the exact MGW. The MGW must be less than 44,801 lbs.
- For a commercial vehicle, the MGW is the weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of the maximum load to be carried during the registration period.
- For a pickup truck registered as a passenger vehicle, the MGW must be the unladen weight plus exactly one lb. For example, if you enter an unladen weight of 4,500 lbs. for this type of vehicle, you must enter a MGW of 4,501 lbs.
- Type of Fuel
- Number of Cylinders
- If the engine does not have cylinders (for example, a rotory engine or an electric), select "None."
- If you borrowed money from a lender to purchase the vehicle, there is a lien on the vehicle.
- If the dealer will file the lien or liens on behalf of the lender, enter the number of liens.
- County of Residence of the Registrant
- Enter the county of residence of the registrant.
- Type of Registration Transaction
- Select the type of Registration Transaction.
Enter information to transfer a registration
Complete this section if you plan to transfer the registration from another vehicle. You can transfer vehicle plates if the registrant will not change.
Enter the information that appears on the registration document of the vehicle that is currently registered and has the vehicle plates (If you need help, refer to the sample document).
- Vehicle Plate Number
- Enter the vehicle plate number.
- Registration Class Code -- Vehicle Type
- The vehicle types of the two vehicles must be the same.
- You must select a passenger vehicle registration class if you will register a pick-up truck as a passenger vehicle.
- You can transfer a vehicle registration from a commercial vehicle to a passenger vehicle or from a passenger vehicle to a commercial vehicle, but this service cannot estimate the fees for those specific transactions. To estimate the total fee for a transfer, include the fees for the transfer ($10.00), the vehicle plates ($15.00), and the title certificate ($50.00). The total fee will change accordingly to the specific registration fee and the county use tax.
- First three characters of the name of the registrant
- If a last name is fewer than three characters, enter enough commas (,) to make a total length of three characters. For example: enter the last name of 'WU' like this: 'WU,'
- If there is a space included in the first three characters of a business name, enter a semi-colon (;) instead of the space. For example, enter the business name of 'A TRUCK CO' like this: 'A;T'.
- Do not enter punctuation marks or special characters unless the characters are displayed on the registration document or on the original title certificate. For example, enter the business name of 'A&B TRUCKS' like this: 'A&B'.
Return to the Top of this Page